Elverket on Gustaf Wasas gata 11 has been a power source in Ekenäs for almost 100 years. Originally the building produced electricity, but now it produces culture.
At the beginning of the 1900’s the town decided to build their own “Electricity centre for the town of Ekenäs”. The architect Hjalmar Åberg was commissioned to prepare the drawings for the building. It was built of red brick in Jugend style (Art Nouveau).
It started to produce electricity on 6 November 1909.
Gradually culture was introduced.
The Foundation for Swedish Culture in Finland acquired and renovated Elverket to match the needs of Pro Artibus. The building provided an office, a conservation studio and Gallery Elverket for the foundation.